December journal prompts
Whether you’re new to journaling, or you’ve been doing it for a while, it can sometimes be hard to figure out what you actually want to write about. Opening up a blank page and seeing that white space staring back at you can be daunting. You want to write something, but you just don’t know what, and you spend so much time thinking about it that you end up writing nothing!
Luckily, December can be a great month for journal writing. It gives you a chance to look back on the year and see what you’ve achieved, and it also gives you a chance to look forward and think about what you want from the coming year. December is also a month that is full of traditions and memories, and that can make for some great writing.
So curl up under a blanket, grab your journal, and have a look at my list of 31 December journal prompts to get you through the month.
Looking back at the past year can always be a fun and therapeutic thing to do. Having a look through photos, journals, text messages, and social media updates can bring back memories of things that you might have forgotten all about:
- What are you most grateful for this year?
- What was your biggest achievement this year?
- How do you feel this year has gone for you, and are you happy with how it went?
- What is your favourite memory from this year?
- How do you think you have changed as a person this year?
Do you love this time of year as much as I do? Have a go at these winter, Christmas and New Year prompts to get you writing through December:
- When does Christmas start for you/What gets you in the Christmas spirit?
- Do you prefer a real or fake Christmas tree and why?
- What are your favourite go-to Christmas songs?
- Write about your Christmas traditions
- What is your favourite Christmas memory from when you were a child?
- Describe your perfect Christmas
- When did you stop believing in Santa?
- If you have children, what Christmas traditions do you want to carry on with them?
- What would be on your ultimate Christmas wish list?
- Write a letter to Santa
- What things do you always do on Christmas day?
- What does Christmas mean to you?
- What is the best Christmas present you’ve ever received?
- What is the best Christmas present you’ve ever given to someone, and who was it?
- What is your favourite winter food that you can’t live without?
- What is your favourite winter drink?
- What are your go-to films over the winter?
- How do you look after yourself when the cold weather hits?
- What are your favourite things about December?
- Write about the best New Year’s Eve you’ve had
- Do you have any New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day traditions?
December is a great time to look forward and make plans for the coming year:
- What are your January goals?
- What are you looking forward to next year?
- What do you hope to achieve next year?
- Where do you see yourself this time next year?
To finish off, how about some New Year’s resolutions; because no journal is complete without them: